Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Survey: Posnanski, Simmons and Reilly, Oh My!

There's been some interesting discussion lately about the prominence of ESPN's Bill Simmons from the likes of Paul Oberjuerge and Jason Fry. I've got some of my own thoughts on the topic, a few of which I talked about in my last post on Simmons, but I think there's room for a bit of a more detailed discussion on the successes and failures of different writers in attracting certain audiences. I prefer working with data to making wild guesses, though, and that's where I could use your help.

When I think of broad-ranging sportswriters with substantial mainstream profiles, three in particular come to mind: Simmons, his ESPN counterpart Rick Reilly (formerly of Sports Illustrated) and SI's Joe Posnanski. I'm sure there are others out there, but these guys struck me as useful for a survey because they have similar profiles and exposure, but approach writing in very different ways. I've got a quick survey below on your impressions of these writers, and the plan's to use the results in constructing a post, so the more responses I get, the better. If you're able to fill it out quickly, I'd really appreciate it.

First, a few quick notes before you begin. One of the most important parts of this poll for my purposes is the first question about if you identify yourself primarily as a sports journalist, a sports blogger, a sports fan or something else entirely. There are obviously many people who fit into multiple categories, including myself, and bloggers can definitely be journalists, but what I'm going for here is to try and separate the reactions of established traditional media people, up-and-coming new media types and people who read about sports but don't tend to write about them. We're not judging groups here or trying to definitively slot people in; just pick what category seems most appropriate to you. Also, for the text-response questions, don't worry about making them long or eloquent; I'm just trying to get an idea of what people like and don't like about these writers. Thanks for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment